Pages




(Re)connecting With Friends

Monday, May 12, 2014

As I sit here making the hotel reservation for a good friend's wedding, I'm reminded of how lucky I am to have such a great group of people around me.  Friends are so important and so many of us take having them for granted.  I'm sure you've all gotten the following advice in some form:

Don't neglect your friends when you're in a relationship.  

It seems easy enough, right?  It's hard!  It's especially hard if your significant other doesn't live near you or isn't really part of your already existing friend group.

Newsies - Best Show Ever

You're probably saying that you would never do that.  Trust me, I said the same thing and it still happened.  I started dating someone right after college and it was sort of long distance for over two years.  I felt so secure in my relationships with my friends because we had just spent all of college together.  But time moves fast, and before you know it, you've neglected to keep up those relationships and it's hard to get back to where you were.  Friendships take work and give and take and I definitely have learned it the hard way.

It's important to do activities with your friends.  Like building gingerbread houses with glue guns

It's taken me a while (years! so don't make the same mistake) but I feel like I'm finally getting back to where I was when I graduated from college.  I'm also fortunate enough to have a wonderful boyfriend who fits right in with all of them.  They may actually like him more than they like me!

With the summer coming up, and your schedule filling up quick, make sure to put aside some time for your good friends!  You're never going to regret it.

An oldie but a goodie - Sunrise on graduation day

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about your friends taking a back seat when you're in a relationship - but for me my friends were all back in Florida so it took me some time to meet a good group of girl friends up here - but now that I have them I try to make time when I can!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I whole-heartedly agree! As you get older, keeping friendships alive and strong takes a ton of work. But at least it's fun work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life certainly changes as we age and form relationships with significant others, but you're right in that it's super important to maintain your friendships. I love my girlfriends and value their friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I host a monthly craft night and everyone looks forward to it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The older we get, the more we have to work at our friendships. It's so easy to drift away once relationships and careers happen. I'm so thankful that facebook and skype make it a bit easier :)

    ReplyDelete